BRIEF HISTORY OF THE FACULTY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
1937 establishment of M. R. Štefánik
1939 changing the name into
1940 beginning of autonomous Mechanical Engineering study
1950 opening of Division of Mechanical Engineering
1951 foundation of Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
1963 completion of new faculty building in main university campus
2001 reconstruction of the building in
2005 reconstruction of the building in
Autonomous mechanical engineering studies at the
In 1950 the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering was renamed the Faculty of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering by the Higher Education Act. In 1951 this Faculty was split into two independent faculties: Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Faculty of Electrical Engineering.
The profile and credit of the faculty has been built up by many significant personalities, such as professors J. Čabelka, E. Foit, J. Garaj, J. Gonda, A. Hebký, E. Hirschfeld, J. Kováč, J. Kožoušek jun., V. Křivánek, J. Nemessányi, O. Puchner, E. Škrabal, M. Škrabák, G. Stegmann, E. Šišolák, F. Šujanský, J. Lendel, and others.
In the fifties the number of students and teachers was increasing rapidly, purposive scientific and research activities were developing and the co-operation of the Faculty with industrial factories, research institutes and the Slovak Academy of Sciences was extended. In the eighties the foundation of consultation centers of a technological and economical character became very important in the education structure of mechanical engineers. In the course of time the original intention to have a graduate with one profile was re-considered and substituted by a principle of providing sufficient knowledge of a general character and acquiring deeper knowledge in a certain sphere – specialization.
In 1940 the division of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering had a section of Mechanical Engineering, a section of Electrical Engineering and a section of Aviation Engineering. The division which originally had its seat in the historic building in
The Department of Materials and Technologies, originally called the Department of Mechanical Technology, can be found not in the campus of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering but in
The Department of Thermal Power Engineering belongs among the oldest departments of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. It was established as the IV. Institute of Machine Construction and was renamed the
In 1941-1942 the
In 1945 the
The Department of Chemical Machines and Equipment was founded in 1952 with the aim of educating engineers for chemical, food and processing industries. In 1958 the Cabinet of Strength of Materials was constituted at the Department of Technical Mechanics. From this Cabinet an independent Department of Strength of Materials was established in1959. In 1962 the independent Department of Electrical Engineering was established. Later it was renamed the Department of Mechanical Applied Electrical Engineering and in 1999 again the Department of Electrical Engineering . In 1964 the Department of Automation and Regulation was established by some of the staff of the Department of Steam Generators and Engines using some rooms and equipment that had belonged to this department. The Department of Automation and Regulation was later renamed Department of Automation and Measurement.
The present Department of Physics has its origin in the
In 1960 – 1986 the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering had a Department of Organization and Management of Mechanical and Electrical Production which continued the activities of the Department of the Engineering Industry (1952) at the former Faculty of Economic Engineering at the STU.
In 1985 the Faculty of Mechanical Technology with its seat in Trnava was established. It consisted of several branches of study detached from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering in
The Library and
The first lectures in mechanical engineering for about 100 students were begun in the academic year 1940/41 in provisional premises in
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering had in 1951 eight departments and three study branches (mechanization and transport, power engineering ant technology). In 1985 the number of departments increased to seventeen and within three streams (technology, economy and engineering design) to eleven study branches. Today the Faculty is accredited to provide study in thirteen MSc branches, five BSc and ten PhD branches covered with the pedagogical staff of more than 148 teachers. The studies are provided by fifteen departments.